Tuesday 2 April 2013

untold story of my sister.....


Do you remember my sister?
Born and breed African until the day 
We dug and buried her six feet underground 
Remember the days before tragedy struck?

Everybody knew the tale but no one ever told?
Who would even dare?
Such stories could only bring shame and disrepair
So we all turned blind eyes and pretended not to care.
Isn't it a woman's place to stay by her husband through it all?

They said pain was inevitable though temporary
So she aimed to please and be exemplary
But when the circle does not break
Stories are fabricated to create fault where there is none
And cover up the truth behind every eye that turned blue.

But I still remember my sister 
Born to be sold to the neighbor's son
For a few cattle in the name of marriage
Freedom became an illusion and coming back home
Was never an option

I remember the cold stares when HE thought no one was looking
The hushed murmurs that brought chills down my spine
Gradually I saw the light disappear from her eyes...

Eventually she broke
We cried but still, no one ever told
But i still remember my sister
DO YOU? 



 By Boineelo Jennifer Legotlwane (Botswana)
photo credits- www.facebook.com/afrofuture

No comments:

Post a Comment