Monday 24 June 2013

Tourniquet

Look at me:
I’m half man,
half a heart,
the other part
is reeling
on the floor with laughter
while I try to give reason
to what’s left of me to fight.

This pain;
it’s one of the many stings that returns…
Legion that pries me open and rapes my senses
and burns me in agonizing bits

I’m praying,
I’m bleeding
I’m pouring ruby-red regret
on this dying self
I’m screaming, hoarse and untamed,
till they reach the heights above–or if they will

Can You hear me?
Or do You now count me
among the lost and forgotten…
Exiles,
banished to walk
this metal hell of a road?

My God
My tourniquet
let me drink from your salvation’s pool,
to cast upon your white doors
the reflection of a battered soul
In need of the grave,
I dare to close
these misted eyes.

By Uzoma Okoroafor (Nigeria)

picture source: borsheimarts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment