Wednesday 12 March 2014

Pansiwaa...

A goddess who struts in rocking beads
Ah! So do you think the lizard prostrates for nothing?
My Nubian queen of cinnamon delight, fleshy as a baobab
Face of a harvest moon, dispersing stars to an early sleep
Grace of the gazelle, floating kapok in the Harmattan Winds!
Pansiwaa, with her lips of zebra stripes, inviting like the froth
of African palm wine
Pansiwaa, her eyes are of the panther’s, pushing darkness
into a broad daylight
But for your warmth
I have missed in this wilderness of lashing coldness
Run my fingers through your fronds of jet black dreads
And have my sorrows melted in the grove of your shrine
I’ve sailed the seven seas, and felt its turbulent waves against my skin
This blackness which you nourished with your tender hands of shea-butter
Are now tough like the rhino’s
That only your Congo could dissolve
So long my soul has been tramped, muddied in the waters
of lords who never knew me a Negus
A Prince, who once surveyed my Savannahs of anthills and darting impalas,
Of crouching leopards who felt the sharpness of the hunter’s spear
But into thy coastal arms I return, through Elmina’s ”gate of yes return”
Thy radiant smile, my bearing found
Thy coconut water my thirst quenched
And in thy gentle breeze a moment restored!
Adjei  Agyei-Baah  (Ghana) 
Picture source: www.facebook.com/jadiliafrika

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing my poem where. Its a sign that somebody somewhere is watching. Grateful one more time!

    ReplyDelete