Tuesday 11 March 2014

ON MOTHERS' DAY

Here is to the breasts
my father fondled with affection

before becoming the only source of
food I knew.

Here is to the lips
that gave me the first kiss,
the same lips that taught me to say
when I want to pee.
Here is to the hip
that gave me a sure grip
while strapped tight on her back.

Here is to the woman
who endured the labour pains
for me to breath this air and have
blood flowing. in my veins.

Here is to a mother
who chose not to abort
so that we can be living testimonies of
her unfailing love.
Here is to you
on a mothers' day.


By Edward Dzonze (Zimbabwe)
Picture source: www.facebook.com/jadiliafrika

1 comment:

  1. Read a lot of Mother's Day poems. This is one of the most touching and outstanding. Will keep coming back for more Sir

    ReplyDelete